Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

Being New Here

Good Morning!

I have a new resident in the office right now telling me how she told her kids about the ease and convenience of our grocery shopping trip.  "All I had to do was pick out and pay for the groceries, everything else was done for me.  Wait 'till I tell you the best part...we got back to the house...everyone just went up to their  apartments so I did the same...pretty soon a knock came to the door...where would you like these"? Brian said.  Brian told her "We do all of this but what we don't do is eat the groceries". haha

The resident, who prefers not to be named, said "I jumped off the bus, but it never dawned on me where I was going to meet the bus or how much time I had...like a kid in school I went back to where they left me off..He helps you into the bus... I never thought I would get to this point in life (she's 88) where I would get to...

.....then we were interrupted by Maggie May showing signs of a tummy ache.  It's been a tough week for a thunderstorm anxiety problemed dog!  I remember we had a resident who used to tranqualize his dog during thunderstorms, after he would crawl in the bathtub.  It was sad!

 I've had Maggie here all week due to her thunderstorm anxiety.  I gave her Rescue Remedy, a natural supposed cure, for the first time ever yesterday, but today her stomach is bothering her....hmmmnnnn.  If you don't know who Maggie May is, just page up.  Her picture is on the blog about the Hartford fire and book group we have here at The Canterbury,

Funny, (I realize I'm on a complete tangent about the dog now) as I was soothing her I realized she could've eaten all kinds of things yesterday.  Gladys, our resident who tends the gardens (and former Simsbury cop) walked Maggie over to the nursing home down the street where her husband Don (also former Simsbury cop- Captain I think) is recuperating.  If I know Gretchen (who is also recuperating there and called to say how nice it was to see Maggie), she found something to feed her!  Maybe Maggie had too much people food yesterday!

Then there was the "beggin strip" Brian brought in for her yesterday...she has NEVER had one of those either....funny!  Maggie May be paying for the fun day she had here with us yesterday!

Well- I got off on a tangent.  The lady who I mentioned moved here recently is so kind and upbeat- we are lucky to have her.  She took care of her husband who had a stroke at about 55 years old until he was about 75 years old.  She promised him he would never have to go to a nursing home and she kept that promise.  I get to be witness to fabulous marriages (and promises) here...the likes of which are harder to find in the busy world we live in today,

This lady waited six years to move here, not wanting to leave her home.  She seems glad she's here now, and I'm so happy to get to know her- she is LOVELY!  I want to say more about her but she'd rather stay under the radar for now so I will sign off, wishing you a wonderful weekend and I appreciate you listening and taking the time to get to know Canterbury!

Best Wishes!
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment